Best Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers: Quick Picks
- #1 Big Barker [Best Overall Bed for Golden Retrievers] — Featuring a 7-inch-thick multi-foam core and backed by clinical research demonstrating its ability to reduce joint pain and stiffness, this is easily the best option for most golden retrievers — particularly big ones suffering from joint issues.
- #2 Kuranda Elevated Dog Bed [Best for Golden Retrievers that Chew] — The Kuranda is made from an aircraft aluminum frame and a laying surface that’s hard for dog’s to get their teeth on, making it a great option for golden retrievers who like to chew up their stuff.
- #3 Bark Box [Most Affordable Golden Retriever Bed] — Owners looking to pick up a high-quality bed while staying under budget will love the comfy yet affordable memory foam bed sold by Bark Box.
All of our furry friends will benefit from having a high-quality bed, but like us humans, picking a bed is never a one-size-fits-all situation. Don’t worry — with hundreds of bed designs out there, you’re bound to find one that’s specifically suited to your Golden’s sleeping preferences.
Today we’re going to break down the best beds for your ever-so-loveable golden retriever (and golden retriever mixes).
We’ll run you through the benefits beds provide, explain some of things to look for when picking a bed, and identify some of the best options on the market.
By the time you’re done reading this, you’ll make the most informed decision possible!
The 11 Best Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers
Whether your golden is a chewer, or you love to travel with him, we think we’ve found the perfect bed for your pooch. Here are our top picks:
1. Big Barker
About: The Big Barker is an orthopedic dog bed, specifically designed for larger dogs — in fact, the manufacturer discourages its use with small or medium dogs.
Best of all, it is clinically proven to reduce your dog’s joint pain and increase his mobility. Can’t argue with that, right?
- One of the best dog beds for large dogs, as it’s specifically designed to support large and extra-large dogs like Golden Retrievers
- Removable, micro suede, machine-washable cover
- Contains contour and support foam to provide excellent comfort
- Available in 3 sizes and 4 different colors
- Handmade in the USA
- Backed by a 10-year warranty
- 10-year warranty is unmatched in this product category
- Thickest dog bed on the market
- Included headrest gives your goldie somewhere to lay his head
- Too firm for small dogs
- No non-skid bottom
- Pricey (though this kind of quality always is)
2. Pet Fusion
About: The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is a waterproof, memory foam bolster dog bed that provides great comfort and quality at a reasonable price.
It also comes with most of the features owners would want, including a removable cover and non-skid bottom.
- Made with a 4-inch-thick, solid memory foam core
- Non skid base will prevent it from “wandering”
- Removable, machine washable cover
- Includes wraparound head rest/bolster
- Available in 4 sizes and 3 colors
- Unlike some other memory foam beds, the PetFusion core is made from a solid piece of memory foam
- Non-skid base prevents the bed from scooting around your home
- Wraparound cushion gives your pet somewhere to rest his head
- Some owners were disappointed in the bed’s durability (especially the zippers)
- Cover collects hair and dirt quickly
3. Bark Box
About: The Bark Box Memory Foam Dog Bed is a very affordable dog bed that doesn’t skimp on comfort or owner convenience.
Equipped with a 3-inch-thick memory gel foam core, this bed also comes with a removable, machine-washable cover and an anti-slip base to keep it in place.
- The removable cover is both machine-washable and water-resistant
- Memory foam core has a gel foam top layer to keep your Golden cool
- Available in 5 sizes and 7 color patterns
- You’ll get a free dog toy with your purchase
- Very affordable bed that provides great value
- Gel foam can help keep your canine cool
- Several owners found the bed to be quite stylish
- The removable cover is not very durable
- A few owners reported that the beds run small, so order accordingly
4. Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed
About: The Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed is a great choice for owners and goldens living in warm climates, thanks to its elevated design.
By holding your pet off the ground, air will flow beneath the bed, and it will prevent your dog’s hips, knees, and elbows from digging into the floor.
- Breathable high-density polyethylene (HDPE) fabric keeps your canine cool
- Elevated dog bed that can be used indoors or outdoors (also makes a great travel dog bed)
- Fabric is made from recyclable materials and is GREENGUARD Certified
- Powder-coated steel frame is strong yet lightweight
- Easy-to-clean dog bed – just spray it down with a hose and let it air dry
- Available in 3 sizes and 5 colors
- Very easy to clean
- Versatile and can be used just about anywhere
- Great for use in hot climates
- Quite affordable and provides good value
- It’s not suitable for goldens over 100 pounds
- Some dogs may not like the elevated design
5. Lightspeed Outdoors Self Inflating
About: The Lightspeed Outdoors Self-Inflating Dog Bed is a great option for owners and doggos on the go. Designed to rely on air to cushion your canine, this bed is easy to pack, store, and carry, and it’s also more durable than many other more traditional dog beds.
- Inflate or deflate as necessary via the included nozzle
- Puncture and water resistant base
- Removable fleece top cover is machine-washable
- Nylon straps included for storage
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
- Unparalleled versatility — you can use this bed in myriad situations
- Easy to store in a bag or your car
- Waterproof base means you can use it on damp ground
- Despite being travel-friendly, most dogs found it very comfortable
- The fleece top isn’t waterproof
- At 3.6 pounds, it’s probably too heavy for backpacking
6. Majestic Pet Bagel Bed
About: This one’s for you, snuggly Goldens! The Majestic Pet Bagel Bed is a super-squishy pet bed that features a bolster wrapping around the entire thing. But while it’s certainly comfortable, this bed is also durable and built to last for years.
- 360-degree bolster for head and spinal support
- Bed features a 300/600 denier waterproof base
- Entire bed is machine washable
- Stuffed with high-loft poly fill
- Available in 4 sizes and 7 colors
- Made in the USA dog bed
- Owners and dogs alike seem to appreciate the bed’s comfort
- Most owners were impressed with the bed’s durability
- Provides good quality at a reasonable price
- Bed may be too large to fit into standard washing machines
- Some owners complained that the bed cover made lots of noise
7. Kuranda Elevated Dog Bed
About: The Kuranda Elevated Dog Bed is another great elevated snoozing spot that functions as an indoor or outdoor dog bed. But more importantly, this metal-framed bed is designed to stand up to your golden retriever’s claws and teeth.
Additionally, this bed’s design makes it easy to clean — you can simply hose it off and let it air dry when necessary.
- Made in the USA
- Impressive 250-pound capacity will suit even the largest goldens
- Made with aircraft grade aluminum
- Elevated design helps keep dogs comfortable and cool
- Available in 6 sizes and 4 colors
- Backed by a 1 year warranty
- One of the most chew proof beds on the market
- Ideal for indoor or outdoor use (would also work in a kennel)
- Provides a cool, yet supportive sleeping surface
- Lightweight bed is great for traveling
- Requires some assembly
- Skittish dogs are sometimes wary of elevated beds
8. Brindle Waterproof Dog Bed
Brindle Waterproof Dog Bed
Waterproof, dual-foam pet bed that’s available in several common crate sizes
About: The Brindle Waterproof Dog Bed is a high-quality, 4-inch-thick dog bed that is ideal for use in your pup’s crate. This memory foam dog bed is also waterproof, thanks to an internal encasement that protects the bed’s core from fluids.
- Features a 2-inch-thick memory foam layer; 2-inch-thick support foam layer
- Removable, machine-washable cover
- Waterproof casing under fabric cover
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant cover
- Backed by a 3-year warranty
- Available in 6 colors
- Available in sizes designed to fit several common crate designs
- Waterproof casing helps protect the bed’s core from fluids
- Non-skid bottom is helpful no matter where you intend to use the bed
- This is not a good choice for chewers or diggers
- Some owners complained that the waterproof casing is not durable and tears easily
9. Sealy Lux Pet Bed
About: The Sealy Lux Pet Bed utilizes quad foam technology with cooling gel, meaning your golden retriever gets all the benefits of supportive memory foam while still keeping cool. It also features a bolster around three sides, which will give your doggo somewhere to rest his noggin’.
- Includes memory, orthopedic, and odor-absorbing carbon foam
- Gel layer helps absorb your dog’s body heat
- Machine washable cover
- Bolster sides for spinal support
- Available in 3 different sizes and 4 colors
- Odor-absorbing carbon layer is a nifty and uncommon feature
- Gel layer will help keep your golden cool while he snoozes
- Backed by a 5-year warranty
- Pricier than many other beds
- Several owners expressed durability concerns
10. K&H Pet Products Heated Dog Bed
About: The K&H Pet Products Heated Dog Bed gives you a great way to keep your pup warm at night, and it may also help reduce your dog’s joint pain and stiffness. This heated dog bed is actually designed for outdoor use, but you could also use it inside.
- Orthopedic foam base with fleece cover
- Comes with an internal thermostat
- Steel wrapped electrical cord for safety
- Backed by a one-year warranty
- Tested and certified by MET Labs to exceed USA/CA electrical safety standards
- Provides an easy way to keep your pooch warm
- Only uses about 60 watts of power
- Temperature automatically adjusts
- Not safe for dogs who chew
- We’d prefer if the bed were a little thicker
11. Enchanted Home
About: If you want to hook up your golden retriever with a super fancy bed, the Enchanted Home Library Sofa is a fantastic option.
Made to resemble an old-school library sofa, this faux leather dog bed is incredibly fashionable, while still providing the kind of comfort your canine deserves.
- Hand-crafted bed features faux leather cover
- Easy to clean — simply wipe down with a damp rag
- Includes storage pocket for toys
- 2-inch-tall wooden legs raise the bed off the floor
- Suitable for dogs weighing up to 90 pounds
- Many owners report that it looks better than they expected
- Easy to wipe clean
- Storage pocket is very convenient
- Not particularly durable
- Neither washable nor waterproof
Benefits of a Good Dog Bed for Golden Retrievers
It’s pretty hard to imagine life without a bed; it’s considered a basic necessity for humans. And it’s no different for your golden retriever — he deserves a great bed of his own and will enjoy many of the benefits they provide.
Some of the most notable benefits he’ll enjoy include:
- Beds provide improved sleep quality. Dogs sleep between 12-18 hours a day, depending on their age, so it’s super important they’re spending that time getting quality rest. And a bed will help ensure exactly that.
- Beds can help with joint pain, hip dysplasia, arthritis, and similar issues. As dogs age (especially larger dogs like golden retrievers), their joints become more sensitive to hard surfaces, so a dog bed with memory foam or supportive cushioning may help alleviate pain and stiffness. In fact, one bed discussed above (the Big Barker) has been clinically shown to reduce pain and stiffness.
- Dog beds provide your pup with a safe space of his own. Your golden deserves a place to rest of his very own, where he can get away from the family, rest, and recuperate. A good bed will serve wonderfully in this context.
- Dog beds will help keep your four-footer off the furniture (if that’s important to you). Hey, you’re the owner, you make the rules! But having his own bed helps Fido learn boundaries and gives him somewhere super comfy to chill out. A dog bed is also way easier to clean than a sofa in most cases (though you could always get dog-proof furniture if you prefer).
Things to Look for When Picking a Dog Bed for a Golden
There are a ton of dog bed options out there and deciding where to spend your money can get a little overwhelming. Here are a few core features you’ll want to look for when picking out a bed for any dog:
- Proper Size and Shape — Obviously, you’ll need to pick a bed large enough to accommodate your pupper — no one wants to sleep hanging halfway off the bed! So, firstly you’ll need to take note of your dog’s size, and secondly you’ll need to consider your dog’s sleeping position. If your dog’s a sprawler, give him room to stretch out; if he’s a nester, think about a bagel-shaped bed.
- Machine Washable — Whether your golden’s an old boy and suffers from incontinence, or he’s a big fan of mud and puddles, having a washable dog bed makes life so much easier.
- Removable Cover — If you pick an extra large bed, chances are it’s not going to fit in the washing machine. But a removable cover allows your dog bed to stay fresh and hygienic in a more convenient manner.
- Adequate Cushion — Adequate cushioning will prevent your dog’s joints from pressing into the floor and ensure better overall comfort. In most cases, if you’re trying to choose between two similar beds, go with the thicker model.
- Durable Materials — Once you’ve found your golden a bed he LOVES, you want it to last. Looking for the highest quality materials in your price range will ensure you get the best bang for your buck.
Specific Dog Bed Needs for Golden Retrievers
Now we’ve covered the core features, it’s time to consider the breed specific features you’ll want to look for when picking a bed for your golden retriever.
A few of the most important things to think about include:
- Pick a bed that’s appropriate for your climate. Lucky for most golden retrievers, their thick fur coats will usually keep them warm enough while sleeping indoors in winter. But they can struggle to stay cool in the warmer months, so look for an elevated bed or one that uses a foam base that doesn’t trap heat. These make great summer dog beds, and many doggos will love using them all year long.
- Pick a bed that provides good support. Golden retrievers are prone to joint pain, caused by things like arthritis and hip dysplasia. As Fido reaches his ahem, golden years, (sorry, couldn’t help myself), a supportive bed will be an absolute essential towards his quality of life.
- Look for a bed that’s waterproof or water-resistant. Water and bodily fluids can ruin some beds, so always look for one with a water-resistant or (even better) waterproof cover. That way, whether your golden has just had a bath, spent the day hunting and retrieving birds, or occasionally struggles with incontinence, his bed will hold up just fine.
The Best Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers FAQs
Buying a bed for your golden retriever is actually a bit more complicated than many owners initially suspect. And this leads to questions — lots and lots of questions.
Don’t worry! We’ll answer a few of the most common queries below!
Why do dogs need a bed?
What is a good bed for dogs who chew?
How expensive are dog beds for golden retrievers?
Prices will vary based on quality, materials and size. The beds we have featured in this article range from around $30 to $200. Assessing your dog’s sleeping preferences, size and weight will allow you to make the best and most informed purchase.
Do golden retrievers need a bed?
Not necessarily, your dog will choose to sleep where he feels safe and comfortable — that may not always be specifically a dog bed. But we’d always recommend having one available one so he has his own safe space, as well as somewhere that provides sufficient comfort and support.
Do golden retrievers need an orthopedic bed?
Sometimes, but not always. They can be incredibly beneficial to older dogs exhibiting signs of joint pain, so it’s worth investing if your vet has drawn your attention to potential issues.
How do you keep a dog bed clean?
It’s best to follow the manufacturer’s instructions in most cases. This will usually entail washing it (or simply washing the cover) on a regular (perhaps monthly) basis. You can also wipe down the cover with a damp cloth between trips through the laundry to remove surface dirt and hair.
Friends of golden retrievers, what do you think? Do you guys own any of the beds we mentioned? If so, how are they working out? Let us know in the comments below.