Are you a Star Wars superfan? Did you buy pre-sale tickets for The Force Awakens before your friends even knew it existed? A true Star Wars fan deserves a suitable name to match their Force-fuelled pooch.
Check out these Star Wars dog names below – we’ve covered all the best names we could think of from all the films, as well as a few extra from the expanded universe. May the Force be with you!
Most Popular Star-Wars-Inspired Dog Names
Chewy / Chewbacca
Star Wars Character Dog Names
From The Original Star Wars Series A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi
- Yoda. Yoda is the little green Jedi Master whose power doesn’t match his size – he’s one of the most powerful Jedi Masters to ever have lived and serves as Grand Master of the Jedi Order during the prequel movies. After Anakin’s fall to the dark side and the eradication of the Jedi, he becomes a hermit on Dagobah and goes on to train Luke Skywalker in the ways of the force.
- Obi-Wan / Obi / Kenobi. Obi-Wan Kenobi is a major and much-beloved figure in the Star Wars franchise. He serves as Anakin’s mentor and friend in the prequels, and guides Luke Skywalker on his journey before sacrificing himself in a lightsaber battle with Darth Vader in A New Hope. We think any variations on this awesome Jedi’s name would be a great namesake for a canine!
- Chewy. Chewy is short for Chewbacca – the furry wookie creature who serves as Han Solo’s partner and co-pilot. This is definitely one of the most popular Star Wars dog names and is great for especially hairy hounds!
- Skywalker. The Skywalker family is strong in the force, with Anakin, Luke, and Leia Skywalker all having a special skill with The Force. Skywalker is a great name for a sensitive canine who is in tune with the world around him or her!
- Leia. Princess Leia, of cinnamon bun hair fame, is the Princess of Alderaan and one of the leaders of the Rebel Alliance.
- Han Solo. The beloved smuggler and pilot who joins the Rebel Alliance after his adventures with Luke and Leia.
- R2. R2D2 is the adorable blue and white droid initially owned by the Skywalkers and eventually joining the Rebel Alliance. Many Star Wars-loving owners dub their dogs “Artoo”
- Boba / Boba Fett. The infamous bounty hunter who hunts down Han Solo in the original trilogy. Try “Boba the Fetch” for a fetch-obsessed canine!
- Lando. Lando Calrissian is a smuggler, an old friend of Han Solo’s, and a gambler who ran Cloud City and betrayed Luke, Han, and company to the Empire.
- Jabba. Jabba the Hutt is one of the most powerful crime bosses in the galaxy. Clever owners might consider “Jabba the Mutt” as a fun dog name!
- Biggs. Biggs Darklighter is a friend of Luke Skywalker’s and a fellow Alliance pilot. Now that we mention it, “Darklighter” is a pretty cool dog name too!
- Greedo. A bounty hunter who is shot and killed by Han Solo. But did Greedo shoot first? Depends on who you ask!
- Ackbar. Admiral Ackbar is a military commander for the RebAlliancecen, famous for his “It’s a trap!” line. The name “Ack” would also work for a dog.
- Poe / Dameron. Poe Dameron is a talented pilot and member of the Resistance from the original Star Wars series.
- Tarkin. Grand Moff Tarkin is the leader of the Empire, first appearing in the original Star Wars series.
- Wedge. Wedge Antilles appears in “A New Hope” as one of the pilots who flew with Luke Skywalker in an effort to destroy the Death Star.
- Wicket. The Ewok who first discovers Princess Leia and team on Endor, Wicket is a clever an ingenious fighter who battles against Imperial forces.
Dog Names From the Star Wars Prequels (Episode I, II, and III)
- Dooku. Count Dooku appears in Episode II: Attack of the Clones. Initially a Jedi who was trained by Yoda, Count Dooku becomes Sith Lord Darth Tyranus after being enamored with the dark side. He goes on to serve as apprentice to Darth Sidious
- Amidala. Queen Amidala of Naboo is a main character in the Star Wars prequel movies, serving as a love interest of Anakin Skywalker and an important diplomat.
- Padme. From Padme Amidala – detailed above.
- Qui-Gon. Jedi Master and Obi-Wan’s teacher, Qui-Gon was convinced that Anakin was the “chosen one” and insisted on his training to become a Jedi. Qui-Gon was killed by Darth Maul in Episode 1 of the prequels.
- Anakin. The young Anakin Skywalker is the main focus of the Star Wars prequels. He has a special talent with the Force and goes on to become the terrifying Darth Vader when he is seduced by the dark side.
- Jar Jar. Jar Jar Binks is a Gungan from the planet Naboo who helps the main heroes of Episode I. This character is despised by most Star Wars fans, so we don’t think it’s the best dog name unless you have a strange and unique affinity for this annoying character.
- Windu. Mace Windu is a Jedi Knight played by Samuel L. Jackson who first appears in Star Wars Episode I.
- Rugar. Boss Rugor Nass is the Gungan leader who appears in Episode I.
Dog Names From the Star Wars Film, Rogue One
- Jyn. Jyn Erso appears in “Rogue One” as the female soldier who stole the plans for the Death Star that were later used to destroy it in “A New Hope.”
- Cassian. Captain Cassian Andor is a Rebel Alliance intelligence officer who helped Jyn on her quest in Rogue One.
- Bodhi. Bodhi is an Empire pilot who defected to the Alliance in “Rogue One” as he joins Jyn on her journey.
- Baze. Baze Malbus is a soldier and partner/protector of blind Chirrut in Rogue One. He carries a hefty repeater cannon that he fights with.
- Chirrut. Chirrut Imwe is a blind warrior-monk who has a deep connection to the spiritual and aids Jyn on her quest in Rogue One.
From Star Wars The Force Awakens
- Rey. Abandoned on Jakku as a young child, scavenger Rey becomes the hero of “The Force Awakens” and a force prodigy.
- Kylo. Kylo Ren is the son of Han Solo & Leia who joined the dark side and serves as a major nemesis in “The Force Awakens.” The name “Ren” would also work.
- Finn. A main character in “The Force Awakens,” Finn is a former stormtrooper who defects to join the Resistance with Rey.
- Phasma. A menacing Captain of the First Order who wears unique chromium Stormtrooper gear in The Force Awakens.
- BB8. Another beloved droid that appears in “The Force Awakens.”
Other Star Wars Characters That Would Serve as Good Dog Names
- Rako. Rako Hardeen is a bounty hunter with great aspirations who appeared in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series.
- Aurra Sing. A skilled bounty hunter and expert sniper known for her white skin and built-in comlink antenna.
- Zeb. Zeb is a Lasat rebel from the “Star Wars Rebels” series.
- Booster. Booster Terrik is a smuggler who appears in the Star Wars X-Wing series.
- Sabine. Sabine Wren is a female warrior from the Star Wars Rebels series.
- Hera. Hera Syndulla appears in the “Star Wars Rebels” series and is a female Twi’lek pilot.
- Jango. Jango Fett is a bounty hunter and the adopted father of Boba Fett.
- Ezra. Ezra Bridger is a Jedi Padawan from the Star Wars Rebels series.
- Ahsoka. Ahsoka Tano is a female Jedi and once was one of Anakin’s padawans.
Star Wars Location-Based Dog Names
- Yavin. An orange gas planet orbited by 26 moons, three of which could sustain human life. Yavin 4 – one of the life-sustaining moons – was once home to the Massassi warriors and went on to serve as a Rebel Alliance base. Alliance.
- Tatooine. A sparsely inhabited desert planet in the galaxy’s Outer Rim, Tatooine is a lawless planet run by Hutt gangsters like Jabba. Its native population consists of Jawa and Tusken Raider species, and Tatooine serves as the home planet of both Luke and Anakin Skywalker.
- Hoth. Hoth is an icy snow-covered planet that holds a Rebel Alliance base, which is attacked at the start of The Empire Strikes Back.
- Endor. A forest moon that is home to the Ewoks and plays a pivotal role in the Star Wars universe. Empire forces put a shield generator on Endor to protect the incomplete Death Star II. During the Battle of Endor in The Last Jedi, the shield generator is destroyed by Alliance forces, allowing for the destruction of the Death Star II and end to the Empire’s reign.
- Eisley. Mos Eisley is a spaceport town on Tatooine, described by Obi-Wan as a “wretched hive of scum and villainy.”
- D’Qar. A planet in the Outer Rim that serves as General Leia’s base of resistance to combat the First Order.
- Coruscant. The bustling and lively city-covered planet that serves as the capital of the galaxy. The Jedi Temple there once served as headquarters of the Jedi Order.
- Dagobah. The swampy planet that Yoda called home for many years while hiding from the Imperial forces.
- Alderaan. Alderaan was once Prince Leia’s home planet before it was destroyed by the Empire in a show of strength and to weaken the Alliance’s resolve.
- Naboo. Home planet of Jar Jar Binks and a location pivotal in Star Wars Episode I.
Other Star Wars Dog Names
- Wampa. The large and menacing white abominable-snowman-like creatures of Hoth.
- Saber. Short for lightsaber – the weapon of the Jedi Knights.
- Sith. The Sith are an ancient order of Force-sensitive individuals who chose to devote themselves to the dark side of the force, powering themselves through hate and deception, rather than following the light side that the Jedi follow.
- Jedi. Force-sensitive individuals committed to spreading peace and justice across the galaxy.
- Beru. Beru Whitesun Lars is Owen Lars’ wife and Luke Skywalker’s aunt.
- AT-AT. Giant animal-like machines that are used by the Empire and are featured heavily during the battle of Hoth.
- Bantha. Large furry mammals that are native to Tatooine and travel in herds across the desert planet. They serve as mounts for Tusken Raiders.
- Wookie. Wookies are hairy, intelligent, and loyal creatures from the forest planet of Kashyyyk. Chewy is a wookie!
- Ewok. The cute, furry, teddy-bear-like creatures who inhabit Endor and join the Alliance during the Battle of Endor to fight against the Empire.
- Falcon. The Millennium Falcon is Han Solo’s famous ship and plays a major role in the original Star Wars films.
- Jawa. Tatooine scavengers.
- Gungan. The aquatic creatures who reside in the waters of Naboo. Jar Jar is a Gungan.
Sith Dog Names
- Darth Vader. Formerly Jedi Anakin Skywalker before losing the love of his life Padme and falling to the dark side to become Darth Vader.
- Darth Cognus. Apprentice to Darth Bane and then Darth Zannah
- Darth Karnage. A male Koorivar Sith Lord who established the New Sith Empire.
- Darth Ramage. Also known as “The Lightningflare”, Darth Ramage was the first Sith Apprentice of Darth Karnage and died when he tried to usurp him.
- Darth Plagueis. Master of Darth Sidious who was betrayed by his apprentice. He was very knowledgeable in the field of midi-chlorian manipulation, gaining the ability to create life and keep individuals from dying.
- Darth Sidious. Darth Sidious was one of the most monumental Sith powers, living a double life as Senator Palpatine and manipulating the Galactic Senate to his own desires. He is credited with restoring the Sith and destroying the Jedi Order by the end of the prequel series. He also served as Master to Darth Vader.
- Darth Maul. Villan of Episode I who was trained by Darth Sidious, Darth Maul fights with a double-sided lightsaber and murders Qui-Gonn.
- Darth Bane. Dark Lord of the Sith who initially formed the Order of the Sith (like the George Washington of Sith Lords). He also established the Rule of Two. This states that only two Sith – a master and an apprentice – can ever exist at the same time. This was to prevent destabilization that could result from having too many Sith competing for power and control.
Did we miss any awesome dog names from the Star Wars universe? Share them in the comments!
Looking for more dog name ideas? See our posts on: