Are you a Star Wars superfan? Did you buy pre-sale tickets for The Force Awakens before your friends even knew it existed? A true Star Wars fan deserves a suitable name to match their Force-fueled pooch.
Check out these Star Wars dog names below – we’ve covered all the best names we could think of from all the films, as well as a few extra from the expanded universe. May the Force be with you!
Most Popular Star-Wars-Inspired Dog Names
Here are some of the most popular Star Wars characters that would make a magnificent moniker for your mutt!
- Chewy / Chewbacca: The legendary Wookie warrior.
- Boba: Boba Fett is known as one of the most skilled bounty hunters in the galaxy.
- Kylo: This Dark warrior is strong with The Force.
- Vader: If your pooch has a bit of a mischievous side, perhaps you’d like to name him after the main antagonist, Darth Vader.
- Yoda: An iconic Jedi master with an incredible connection to The Force.
Star Wars Character Dog Names
From the original Star Wars series to The Mandalorian, there are plenty of Star Wars character names to consider!
From The Original Star Wars Series A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi
Check out these Star Wars dog names inspired by the original movie series.
- Ackbar: Admiral Ackbar is a military commander for the RebAlliancecen, famous for his “It’s a trap!” line. The name “Ack” would also work for a dog.
- Anakin: The traitor Jedi who holds an immense amount of power.
- Ben: A dark warrior with limitless power.
- Beru: A shy moisture farmer.
- Bib: Jabba the Hutt’s loyal attendant.
- Biggs: Biggs Darklighter is a friend of Luke Skywalker’s and a fellow Alliance pilot. Now that we mention it, “Darklighter” is a pretty cool dog name too!
- Boba / Boba Fett: The infamous bounty hunter who hunts down Han Solo in the original trilogy. Try “Boba the Fetch” for a fetch-obsessed canine!
- Brea: One of the infamous Tonnika twins.
- Calrissian: A smooth-talking schemer.
- Cantina: One of the famed Star Wars spots, serving as the bar for all intergalactic creatures.
- Chall: A methane breather and Morseerian male who helped keep eyes on Jabba the Hutt.
- Chewy: Chewy is short for Chewbacca – the furry wookie creature who serves as Han Solo’s partner and co-pilot. This is definitely one of the most popular Star Wars dog names and is great for especially hairy hounds!
- Corey: A female Human jerba tender and pickpocket who was born a slave.
- Daine: A human imperial officer.
- Darth: Part-man, part-Sith Lord who had the potential to become one of the most powerful Jedis.
- Del: A human who served as a stormtrooper, a shoretrooper, and a TIE fighter pilot in turn.
- Dodonna: The military leader of the Rebel base on Parvin 4.
- Fett: A fearsome bounty hunter.
- Fortuna: Jabba’s loyal assistant.
- Goren: The communications and sensors expert in the Alliance to Restore the Republic.
- Greedo: A bounty hunter who is shot and killed by Han Solo. But did Greedo shoot first? Depends on who you ask!
- Han Solo: The beloved smuggler and pilot who joins the Rebel Alliance after his adventures with Luke and Leia.
- Jabba: Jabba the Hutt is one of the most powerful crime bosses in the galaxy. Clever owners might consider “Jabba the Mutt” as a fun dog name!
- Jawa: A tall, humanoid scavenger species.
- Jedi: Knights of the Republic.
- Kabe: A Chadra-Fan and regular cantina customer.
- Kenobi: A legendary Jedi master.
- Lando: Lando Calrissian is a smuggler, an old friend of Han Solo’s, and a gambler who ran Cloud City and betrayed Luke, Han, and company to the Empire.
- Leia: Princess Leia, of cinnamon bun hair fame, is the Princess of Alderaan and one of the leaders of the Rebel Alliance.
- Lobot: A human who ran battlefield calculations for the Galactic Empire.
- Luke: The first name of Star Wars protagonist, Luke Skywalker.
- Melas: An exiled deformed Sarkan.
- Moff: The chief officer in charge of constructing The Death Star.
- Motti: A fierce commanding officer.
- Obi-Wan / Obi / Kenobi: Obi-Wan Kenobi is a major and much-beloved figure in the Star Wars franchise. He serves as Anakin’s mentor and friend in the prequels, and guides Luke Skywalker on his journey before sacrificing himself in a lightsaber battle with Darth Vader in A New Hope. We think any variations on this awesome Jedi’s name would be a great namesake for a canine!
- Organa: The Queen of the planet Alderaan.
- Owen: A humble moisture farmer.
- Ozzel: An officer who came from a wealthy background.
- Patron: A humanoid criminal.
- Piett: An ambitious Imperial officer who was apart of the Super Star Destroyer Executor.
- Poe / Dameron: Poe Dameron is a talented pilot and member of the Resistance from the original Star Wars series.
- Ponda: An Aqualish thug who saved Dr. Cornelius Evaza.
- R2: R2D2 is the adorable blue and white droid initially owned by the Skywalkers and eventually joining the Rebel Alliance. Many Star Wars-loving owners dub their dogs “Artoo”
- Shann: The daughter of two famous Jedi knights.
- Skywalker: The Skywalker family is strong in the force, with Anakin, Luke, and Leia Skywalker all having a special skill with The Force. Skywalker is a great name for a sensitive canine who is in tune with the world around him or her!
- Taggi: Chief of military operations aboard the first Death Star.
- Tarkin: Grand Moff Tarkin is the leader of the Empire, first appearing in the original Star Wars series.
- Trooper: A solider who fought for the Galactic Republic.
- Tusken: This tribe is also known as “the sand people.”
- Vader: One of the most powerful Jedis who turned to the dark side.
- Veers: A focused general in the Galactic Empire’s army.
- Wedge: Wedge Antilles appears in “A New Hope” as one of the pilots who flew with Luke Skywalker in an effort to destroy the Death Star.
- Wicket: The Ewok who first discovers Princess Leia and team on Endor, Wicket is a clever an ingenious fighter who battles against Imperial forces.
- Willard: A human general in the Rebel Alliance.
- Yoda: Yoda is the little green Jedi Master whose power doesn’t match his size – he’s one of the most powerful Jedi Masters to ever have lived and serves as Grand Master of the Jedi Order during the prequel movies. After Anakin’s fall to the dark side and the eradication of the Jedi, he becomes a hermit on Dagobah.
Dog Names From the Star Wars Prequels (Episode I, II, and III)
These Star Wars dog names were pulled directly from the prequel episodes I through III.
- Amedda: The vice chair of the Galactic Senate.
- Amidala: Queen Amidala of Naboo is a main character in the Star Wars prequel movies, serving as a love interest of Anakin Skywalker and an important diplomat.
- Anakin: The young Anakin Skywalker is the main focus of the Star Wars prequels. He has a special talent with the Force and goes on to become the terrifying Darth Vader when he is seduced by the dark side.
- Bail: Alderaan’s representative to the Republic Senate.
- Binks: A well-meaning but often aloof outcast.
- Cliegg: A modest moisture farmer who was a part of the Lars homestead.
- Cody: The Clone Marshal Commander in the Grand Army.
- Dexter: A Besalisk and excellent cook.
- Dooku: Count Dooku appears in Episode II: Attack of the Clones. Initially a Jedi who was trained by Yoda, Count Dooku becomes Sith Lord Darth Tyranus after being enamored with the dark side. He goes on to serve as apprentice to Darth Sidious
- Dormé: The handmaiden of Padme.
- Gunray: A cutthroat councilmen.
- Jango: One of the best bounty hunters in the galaxy.
- Jar Jar: Jar Jar Binks is a Gungan from the planet Naboo who helps the main heroes of Episode I. This character is despised by most Star Wars fans, so we don’t think it’s the best dog name unless you have a strange and unique affinity for this annoying character.
- Lars: A moisture farmer.
- Mace: A Jedi leader known for his purple light saber.
- Maul: A deadly sith lord who was trained by Darth Sidious.
- Medon: A male Pau’an and port administrator.
- Naboo: The idyllic world close to the outer rim.
- Nass: The stern leader of the Gungans.
- Nute: A council member executed by Darth Vader.
- Padmé: A courageous and optimistic leader of Naboo.
- Palpatine: A senator who turned to the dark side.
- Panaka: Panaka was Queen Amidala’s loyal protector.
- Qui-Gon: Jedi Master and Obi-Wan’s teacher, Qui-Gon was convinced that Anakin was the “chosen one” and insisted on his training to become a Jedi. Qui-Gon was killed by Darth Maul in Episode 1 of the prequels.
- Rugar: Boss Rugor Nass is the Gungan leader who appears in Episode I.
- Sebulba: A vicious dug.
- Shmi: The mother of Anakin skywalker.
- Sio: The governor of Naboo.
- Tarkin: A ruthless militant who was in charge of constructing the death star.
- Tion: The port administrator of Pau City.
- Typho: Padmé Amidala’s main security guard.
- Tyranus: Also known as Count Dooku, Tyranus trained Anakin.
- Wald: A male Rodian who grew up amongst Anakin.
- Windu: Mace Windu is a Jedi Knight played by Samuel L. Jackson who first appears in Star Wars Episode I.
Dog Names From the Star Wars Film, Rogue One
The epic adventure in Rogue One has plenty of iconic characters to name your pooch after!
- Andor: A solider and intelligence officer who fought for the Rebellion.
- Baze: Baze Malbus is a soldier and partner/protector of blind Chirrut in Rogue One. He carries a hefty repeater cannon that he fights with.
- Bodhi: Bodhi is an Empire pilot who defected to the Alliance in “Rogue One” as he joins Jyn on her journey.
- Cassian: Captain Cassian Andor is a Rebel Alliance intelligence officer who helped Jyn on her quest in Rogue One.
- Chirrut: Chirrut Imwe is a blind warrior-monk who has a deep connection to the spiritual and aids Jyn on her quest in Rogue One.
- Erso: A fierce rebel fighter.
- Galen: A scientist who was forced to use his knowledge to enhance energy yields.
- Jyn: Jyn Erso appears in “Rogue One” as the female soldier who stole the plans for the Death Star that were later used to destroy it in “A New Hope.”
- Orson: The director of Advanced Weapons Research for the Imperial military.
- Saw: A hardened veteran who leads rebel extremists.
From Star Wars The Force Awakens
This modern Star Wars film follows the search for Luke Skywalker, and introduces plenty of fan favorite characters:
- BB8: Another beloved droid that appears in “The Force Awakens.”
- Dameron: The son of a rebel fighter and commando.
- Finn: A main character in “The Force Awakens,” Finn is a former stormtrooper who defects to join the Resistance with Rey.
- Hux: A ruthless officer of the First Order.
- Kanata: A non-Jedi though wise ali who has seen the balance of the force.
- Kylo: Kylo Ren is the son of Han Solo & Leia who joined the dark side and serves as a major nemesis in “The Force Awakens.” The name “Ren” would also work.
- Maz: Maz is a pirate queen and more than a thousand years old. Love pirates? Check out our list of pirate dog names!
- Phasma: A menacing Captain of the First Order who wears unique chromium Stormtrooper gear in The Force Awakens.
- Poe: A commander in the Resistance’s Starfighters.
- Ren: A force-sensitive human who as trouble resisting the good in the world.
- Rey: Abandoned on Jakku as a young child, scavenger Rey becomes the hero of “The Force Awakens” and a force prodigy.
- Teedo: Reptile-like beings from the planet Jakku.
- Unkar: A Crolute junkboss.
Other Star Wars Characters That Would Serve as Good Dog Names
Not all Star Wars characters fit neatly into one saga or the other! Check out these other Star Wars characters that might make great name inspiration for your canine companion:
- Ahsoka: Ahsoka Tano is a female Jedi and once was one of Anakin’s padawans.
- Asajj: A skilled dark side assassin.
- AT-AT: Giant animal-like machines that are used by the Empire and are featured heavily during the battle of Hoth.
- Aurra Sing: A skilled bounty hunter and expert sniper known for her white skin and built-in comlink antenna.
- Bantha: Large furry mammals that are native to Tatooine and travel in herds across the desert planet. They serve as mounts for Tusken Raiders.
- Beckett: A thief in the Crimson Dawn crime syndicate.
- Beru: Beru Whitesun Lars is Owen Lars’ wife and Luke Skywalker’s aunt.
- Booster: Booster Terrik is a smuggler who appears in the Star Wars X-Wing series.
- Connix: Lieutenant Connix is a junior controller working for the Resistance.
- D’Acy: A commander of the Resistance.
- DJ: The alias of a thief and skilled slicer.
- Durant: A four-armed pilot.
- Enfys: The leader of the pirate gang known as the Cloud-Riders.
- Ewok: The cute, furry, teddy-bear-like creatures who inhabit Endor and join the Alliance during the Battle of Endor to fight against the Empire.
- Ezra: Ezra Bridger is a Jedi Padawan from the Star Wars Rebels series.
- Falcon: The Millennium Falcon is Han Solo’s famous ship and plays a major role in the original Star Wars films.
- Gungan: The aquatic creatures who reside in the waters of Naboo. Jar Jar is a Gungan.
- Hera: Hera Syndulla appears in the “Star Wars Rebels” series and is a female Twi’lek pilot.
- Holdo: A military commander and freedom fighter.
- Jango: Jango Fett is a bounty hunter and the adopted father of Boba Fett.
- Jawa: Tatooine scavengers.
- Jedi: Force-sensitive individuals committed to spreading peace and justice across the galaxy.
- Kin: The honorable former historian.
- Korso: A criminal who is a part of Tobias Beckett’s gang.
- Meena: A Mon Calamari female and republic senator.
- Nest: A brave member of the Rebel Alliance.
- Proxima: A Grindalid crime boss.
- Qi’ra: A female from the planet Corellia who grew up along Han.
- Rabbit: Han Solo’s friend and fellow con man.
- Rako: Rako Hardeen is a bounty hunter with great aspirations who appeared in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series.
- Raydonia: A forested planet in the outer rim.
- Robb: The Senator of Taris
- Rose: A focused resistance fighter.
- Rumi: A female Frenk and bounty hunter.
- Saber: Short for lightsaber – the weapon of the Jedi Knights.
- Sabine: Sabine Wren is a female warrior from the Star Wars Rebels series.
- Satine: The leader of the Council of Neutral Systems.
- Sith: The Sith are an ancient order of Force-sensitive individuals who chose to devote themselves to the dark side of the force, powering themselves through hate and deception, rather than following the light side that the Jedi follow.
- Sugi: The fierce human bounty hunter who befriended Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- Teckla: A human handmaiden to Padme during The Clone Wars.
- Tico: A supportive crew member that helps keep the Starfighters engaged.
- Tiplar: Sister of Tiplee and Jedi master.
- Tiplee: In The Clone Wars, Tiplee served as a Jedi general.
- Val: A human criminal who worked with the outlaw Tobias.
- Ventress: A trained dark side assassin.
- Wampa: The large and menacing white abominable-snowman-like creatures of Hoth.
- Wookie: Wookies are hairy, intelligent, and loyal creatures from the forest planet of Kashyyyk. Chewy is a wookie!
- Zeb: Zeb is a Lasat rebel from the “Star Wars Rebels” series.
Star Wars Location-Based Dog Names
In a galaxy far, far, away, there are a few choice locations that show up time and time again. Consider naming your furry friend off of one of the prime locations from the Star Wars series:
- Alderaan: Alderaan was once Prince Leia’s home planet before it was destroyed by the Empire in a show of strength and to weaken the Alliance’s resolve.
- Coruscant: The bustling and lively city-covered planet that serves as the capital of the galaxy. The Jedi Temple there once served as headquarters of the Jedi Order.
- D’Qar: A planet in the Outer Rim that serves as General Leia’s base of resistance to combat the First Order.
- Dagobah: The swampy planet that Yoda called home for many years while hiding from the Imperial forces.
- Eisley: Mos Eisley is a spaceport town on Tatooine, described by Obi-Wan as a “wretched hive of scum and villainy.”
- Endor: A forest moon that is home to the Ewoks and plays a pivotal role in the Star Wars universe. Empire forces put a shield generator on Endor to protect the incomplete Death Star II. During the Battle of Endor in The Last Jedi, the shield generator is destroyed by Alliance forces, allowing for the destruction of the Death Star II and end to the Empire’s reign.
- Hoth: Hoth is an icy snow-covered planet that holds a Rebel Alliance base, which is attacked at the start of The Empire Strikes Back.
- Naboo: Home planet of Jar Jar Binks and a location pivotal in Star Wars Episode I.
- Tatooine: A sparsely inhabited desert planet in the galaxy’s Outer Rim, Tatooine is a lawless planet run by Hutt gangsters like Jabba. Its native population consists of Jawa and Tusken Raider species, and Tatooine serves as the home planet of both Luke and Anakin Skywalker.
- Yavin: An orange gas planet orbited by 26 moons, three of which could sustain human life. Yavin 4 – one of the life-sustaining moons – was once home to the Massassi warriors and went on to serve as a Rebel Alliance base. Alliance.
Sith Dog Names
These Star Wars antagonists embrace the dark side, but they might just make an amazing namesake for your furball!
- Darth Bane: Dark Lord of the Sith who initially formed the Order of the Sith (like the George Washington of Sith Lords). He also established the Rule of Two. This states that only two Sith – a master and an apprentice – can ever exist at the same time. This was to prevent destabilization that could result from having too many Sith competing for power and control.
- Darth Cognus: Apprentice to Darth Bane and then Darth Zannah
- Darth Karnage: A male Koorivar Sith Lord who established the New Sith Empire.
- Darth Maul: Villan of Episode I who was trained by Darth Sidious, Darth Maul fights with a double-sided lightsaber and murders Qui-Gonn.
- Darth Plagueis: Master of Darth Sidious who was betrayed by his apprentice. He was very knowledgeable in the field of midi-chlorian manipulation, gaining the ability to create life and keep individuals from dying.
- Darth Ramage: Also known as “The Lightningflare”, Darth Ramage was the first Sith Apprentice of Darth Karnage and died when he tried to usurp him.
- Darth Sidious: Darth Sidious was one of the most monumental Sith powers, living a double life as Senator Palpatine and manipulating the Galactic Senate to his own desires. He is credited with restoring the Sith and destroying the Jedi Order by the end of the prequel series. He also served as Master to Darth Vader.
- Darth Vader: Formerly Jedi Anakin Skywalker before losing the love of his life Padme and falling to the dark side to become Darth Vader.
The Mandalorian Dog Names
This modern Star Wars series features plenty of notable characters from the planet Mandalore.
- Caben: A human krill farmer who provides protection for his village.
- Carson: A captain in the Rebel Alliance.
- Davan: A male solider and corrections officer.
- Dodger: A skilled pilot.
- Elsbeth: Morgan Elsbeth was originally from Ming Po before building up the Imperial Navy.
- Hess: A top general in the imperial army.
- Jib: One of the three brave pilots sent to follow a tracker activated by Lant Davan.
- Ketter: A star pilot of the New Republic.
- Kuiil: A caring and wise vapor farmer.
- Lang: A solider under Morgan Elsbeth.
- Mar: A male bounty hunter who worked for the Bounty Hunters’ Guild.
- Morgan: A human who helped build the imperial navy.
- Omera: A farmer, widow and skilled marksman on the planet Sorgan.
- Paz: A solider from the planet Mandalore.
- Sash: A human female pilot for the New Republic.
- Stoke: A former krill farmer on Sorgan.
- Teva: A human captain who served in the rebel alliance.
- Trapper: A male pilot for the New Republic.
- Valin: An evil imperial officer.
- Vizsla: A Mandalorian clan (also the breed name of adorable red-coated canines!)
- Winta: A child who lived in a small village on Sorgan.
- Wolf: Short for Trapper Wolf, a brave human who fights for his family.
- Woves: A human warrior who wanted to restore his homeland.
Did we miss any awesome dog names from the Star Wars universe? Share them in the comments!
Looking for more dog name ideas? See our posts on: